- Prep Time: 30 Minutes
- Yield: 3 servings
- ½ c. butter OR margarine, softened
- ¾ c. sugar
- ½ c. dark molasses
- 3 eggs
- 3 1⁄3 c. flour
- 1 ½ tsp. baking powder
- 4 tsp. Durkee® Ground Cinnamon
- 2 tsp. Durkee® Ground Ginger
- 1 tsp. Durkee® Ground Nutmeg
- ½ tsp. Durkee® Ground Allspice
- ½ tsp. Durkee® Ground Cloves
- 1 c. chopped, toasted slivered almonds
- ¼ c. finely chopped, toasted slivered almonds, optional
- Preheat oven to 350º F. Beat butter or margarine with the sugar and molasses in a large bowl until well blended. Add the eggs.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, spices and 1 cup almonds in a separate bowl. Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture and beat thoroughly.
- Divide dough in half. Shape each into a log about 13 inches long. Flatten slightly to 1-inch thick and about 2-inches wide. Place rolls 4 inches apart on a greased baking sheet. Sprinkle with 1/4 cup almonds, if desired. Bake loaves for 15 to 20 minutes, until browned and puffed. Cool 15 minutes.
- Cut rolls crosswise, 1/2-inch thick, using a sharp or serrated knife. Place slices, cut side down, on baking sheet.
- Continue baking until toasted a slightly darker color, and firm and dry to the touch, about 15 to 20 minutes more. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool.
To toast almonds: arrange chopped almonds in a single layer on a baking sheet.
Place in 250 degrees oven for approximately 10 minutes, until slightly browned. Cool